Skip to main content

Who Am I?

It's quite ironic that this is my post title today, "Who Am I?" as I started this blog nine years ago with the title Knowing Who You Are because of my passion to help women find their identity. I write to you today from a completely different place. It's not one of not knowing who I am but trying to figure out what to do with who I am and the complexities that come with being a human being. I am not just one 'thing' but I am a combination of so many things. God made us that way for good but it can do quickly turn into a bad thing for so many of us. Have you heard the saying, "If the devil can’t get you to sin, he’ll keep you busy"? It's true, we get too busy and distracted from God's purposes for our life. I am guilty but want to get out of this trap!

So my current dilemma is how to be a successful businesswoman and a great wife and mother? I love playing house, cleaning, cooking, gardening, sewing and all those lovely activities. I also love being the businesswoman that I am which means I work full time. I also love serving God and want to get to know my neighbours, get involved in the local church and community doing my part to make the world a better place. I could go on and to be honest I don't think what I am saying is very different from what you would say. Some women have a clear identity - they don't like to play house or they don't like business - they lean strongly to being a housewife or strongly towards being a businesswoman but what if you are very much both - equally divided? What if you want to do all the housey stuff and all the business stuff? There are only 24 hours in each day and I want to spend 24 hours each day on both plus other stuff, for example, I miss being involved in politics so much and would love time for personal hobbies too!

If you have followed my When Church Hurts posts you will also know that I have not been involved in a church for a while too and fear taking that step back into church life again this year as it equals more busyness. You will say to me that it doesn't have to but honestly going to church isn't God's plan for us but being a part of the church is. Perhaps I will write about that next as I have observed so much from both sides.

I can't do anything half measure! If I give myself to something I give my all. So who am I or am I all of these things but have to figure out how to make it work?

So this morning instead of jumping into work I am doing something for me first, I am writing this post. It is a small step but it is one that I hope will help me figure out this identity crisis, this schizophrenia! I want the world to slow down, to stop spinning so fast so I can find my balance. But alas it won't so how do I find balance and peace amidst all that life demands of me?  I have more questions than answers. I do know the theory and you are probably going to pounce at me with time management tips, or sound scriptural advice of putting God first and the rest will fall into place or other valuable and true advice. The chances are I have heard it, tried it and believe it to be true. But still, I find myself in this place. This doesn't mean that I cannot learn from you - definitely share your best advice, I certainly don't know it all.

Yesterday I met with my business mentor and he clearly said I am doing to much in my business. If he knew the rest of my life he would fall off his chair and say I am definitely doing too much. I have always done too much, it's just how I roll. I don't want to be like this but equally I love being like this. I don't have a problem saying no, that is not the problem. I actually like everything I do and want to do more, that's the problem.

So join me this year as I explore this question in a very real way - no more theory of what works but a very deep and real look at who I am really and what that means I should do with my life.  Tell me what you struggle with and if you have anything that has worked for you please share it too. I would love to know that I am not alone on this journey.

Love


P.S. Don't miss a post, subscribe by email.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conference Feedback

We had a beautiful day together on 8th September, thank you so much to you all for your incredible support and prayers. Feedback and testimonies have already started flooding in, have a read of some of them here . Also, keep an eye on our YouTube page as we update it with the speakers messages and conference highlight videos. We had the stunning Instruments of Praise gospel choir lead us in worship and it was truly heavenly. We also had Daughters of Davis who absolutely blew us away with their fantastic acoustic folk/soul vibe. Our Women in Business section was a real treat with stalls offering all sorts of beautifully displayed goods. Jill Chitty from the Entrepreneurs Circle spoke to the women in business offering practical tips for business growth. Other breakout sessions included a Hope for Justice talk by Naomi and Cynthia shared her testimony of life as a Samburu woman . Molly Catherine Beebee from Cirencester Creative Dance Academy dazzled us with

For Such a Time As This

Hello King's Daughters, It's been a while since I've been in touch and King's Daughters has been very quiet, in fact totally dormant.  During this time of dormancy, a seed has been growing inside of me and it's so strong that I have to seriously consider if it's God saying "It's time".  Time to start taking back what the enemy has stolen from us. Time to fight for our families, schools, churches, communities and nation. Time to pray together and be proactive, not reactive to what is going on in the world today. Time to talk about the complex topics that our churches may not be ready to discuss openly such as gender confusion and mental health issues. Time to learn how to generate an income or second income by using what's in our hands and to have extra to be generous to the world around us as we face economic uncertainty.  Time to find balance when everyone else is consumed by busyness. I have a story to tell, a struggle I've been through t

Hope's Journey

"There was a time when all I wanted was to die but now that I have tasted life I really don’t want to die until I have truly lived!" Hope's Journey is a heart wrenching account of Angela's struggle with depression and suicide.   "This book is helpful for people that are going through tough times as well for those who are trying to support them. It gives valuable insight into the feelings experienced in the midst of the situations as well as the tools Angela used to find her way through them. The tools are useful for anyone trying to find hope in dark situations, whatever they may be, and are helpful for leading a stronger, more balanced life." Ali Kirkwood  Available at: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Kindle StudyGuide: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | More Info  Contents: Introduction Suicide Eat, Sleep & Exercise Have a Checkup First Things First Make Hope Make List Tell Someone Choose Your Friends Understand Hormo