Skip to main content

Passion & Purity - Rebuilding my Soul

14 December… Dear Jesus, Now I don’t know if it’s just people like myself who have had a rough background with men or if women with normal backgrounds go through this too, but I have realised that there is one last area I need to deal with in order to be truly free and to truly love myself! The area of course is men! This journey has been amazing, You have been so faithful and have been so gracious and I am already so much freer than I was when I started this journey. Recently though, I have realised, that there is still a big part of me that needs male attention and approval. I still need to be noticed and need to be liked by men. Although I am more mature now than when I was a teenager and don’t run around wearing the shortest possible skirts to gain male attention, I do still have exactly the same need as when I was a teenager - the need for male love and attention. I’m sure a large degree of this is normal, we were created to grow up and pair off, most of us were made with the desire to be married and to have a family. I say most of us because some men and woman of God have chosen to remain single and seemed to be quite content doing so. 

I am writing this section from my heart, from the place that needs your work God, from the place that is still a little bit messed up from my past life. It’s easy to have a warped perception of men when your dad has abused you. It’s easy to feel insecure in relationships when you’ve experienced divorce, either by your parents’ marriage breaking up or your own. It’s even easier to use all of that as an excuse and spend your life with a victim mentality. The hard part is picking up the pieces and putting them all back together again and asking You, God, to show me the truth about men. I have had a wonderful year where you have showed me what it’s like to have a real father and a real husband. You have filled the gap in my life where I have in the past, relied on a man. You have provided for the girls and I in so many ways, and as I write this now, I still feel totally and utterly bowled over by Your goodness. 

But unfortunately it’s not all material and financial provision; there is also the heart factor, the emotional aspect of men that I need to deal with. I have come to the place where I don’t need a man to take care of me financially, where I don’t need a man to make me feel secure and I don’t need a man to make me feel safe. You have taken me down a road where You have completely revealed Yourself to me, and I am so very grateful! 

Now back to the main point. You have been faithful, You have helped me build an awesome life as a single mom and I haven’t suffered one bit financially or materially due to the lack of a man in my life. I am, however, struggling with the emotional and physical need for a man in my life.
As I said previously God, I am not sure of how much of what I am going through is normal and how much is a result of my past. I realise that there are many girls out there that are balanced and whole beings, who are single and long for a man to be at their side. It’s normal for a girl to want a guy to put his arm around her in the movies, to call her up just to say goodnight, to kiss her and love her. I think that is normal and all of us who are single would like that from a man from time to time. 

The part that I want to get rid of is the intense desire to have a man’s approval. I have in the past become a completely different person just so that I can become who I think a particular man would want me to be so that I can have his approval, love and acceptance. This is unacceptable and quite frankly, it looks desperate. I don’t want to be desperate, I want to be complete and whole and NOT LOOK for any man that will have me. I know I have to get to the place where I realise who I am. That if the man in my life doesn’t like me, then he’s not the man for me and I’m not the girl for him. That should be the first and most important part of choosing a partner. If I have to change any part of the core of who I am to get love and acceptance, then I am going to lose my identity and potentially lose who I am. I would then end up being an emotional wreck with a major identity crisis! I know this to be true because I have ‘been there’ and ‘done that’ enough times, haven’t I God? Not a pretty picture :( The other thing that I am realising and learning about men and woman, is that we need to appreciate each other’s differences, and embrace the fact that we are all unique in our way, instead of trying to change to be just like him. 


The food illustration is a little area that perhaps we are willing to change (although totally unnecessary, differences are good, healthy and keep life interesting) but what other areas do I compromise in? The way I dress. He doesn’t like skirts, so I stop wearing skirts. He doesn’t like red, so I chuck out all my red clothes, before he discovers that I own red clothing. He likes an ambitious woman who knows what she wants and goes for it. I suddenly focus on my career. Life takes a whole new turn as before I would have been focused on being a mom, but now that’s not going to get me any approval, so the kids take a back seat and the career comes first. 

This works both ways. I had a male friend who gave up his best friends, stopped leading a house church group and hurt many people, just because he wanted a particular woman in his life. He too had a rough start in life - his mom and dad divorced when he was young and then his mom died while he was in his teens. Things were tough and were affected how he related to women and made him desperate for a woman’s approval and love. 

I desperately don’t want to be desperate Lord, please help me rebuild my soul.

Find out how God tenderly rebuilt my soul by reading the rest of this chapter in Passion & Purity!  More info on the book here or purchase it on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conference Feedback

We had a beautiful day together on 8th September, thank you so much to you all for your incredible support and prayers. Feedback and testimonies have already started flooding in, have a read of some of them here . Also, keep an eye on our YouTube page as we update it with the speakers messages and conference highlight videos. We had the stunning Instruments of Praise gospel choir lead us in worship and it was truly heavenly. We also had Daughters of Davis who absolutely blew us away with their fantastic acoustic folk/soul vibe. Our Women in Business section was a real treat with stalls offering all sorts of beautifully displayed goods. Jill Chitty from the Entrepreneurs Circle spoke to the women in business offering practical tips for business growth. Other breakout sessions included a Hope for Justice talk by Naomi and Cynthia shared her testimony of life as a Samburu woman . Molly Catherine Beebee from Cirencester Creative Dance Academy dazzled us with

For Such a Time As This

Hello King's Daughters, It's been a while since I've been in touch and King's Daughters has been very quiet, in fact totally dormant.  During this time of dormancy, a seed has been growing inside of me and it's so strong that I have to seriously consider if it's God saying "It's time".  Time to start taking back what the enemy has stolen from us. Time to fight for our families, schools, churches, communities and nation. Time to pray together and be proactive, not reactive to what is going on in the world today. Time to talk about the complex topics that our churches may not be ready to discuss openly such as gender confusion and mental health issues. Time to learn how to generate an income or second income by using what's in our hands and to have extra to be generous to the world around us as we face economic uncertainty.  Time to find balance when everyone else is consumed by busyness. I have a story to tell, a struggle I've been through t

Hope's Journey

"There was a time when all I wanted was to die but now that I have tasted life I really don’t want to die until I have truly lived!" Hope's Journey is a heart wrenching account of Angela's struggle with depression and suicide.   "This book is helpful for people that are going through tough times as well for those who are trying to support them. It gives valuable insight into the feelings experienced in the midst of the situations as well as the tools Angela used to find her way through them. The tools are useful for anyone trying to find hope in dark situations, whatever they may be, and are helpful for leading a stronger, more balanced life." Ali Kirkwood  Available at: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Kindle StudyGuide: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | More Info  Contents: Introduction Suicide Eat, Sleep & Exercise Have a Checkup First Things First Make Hope Make List Tell Someone Choose Your Friends Understand Hormo