Skip to main content

Being a Wife - Who Understands Submission

Thanks so much for sending your questions in Tamara, they are questions that I think most woman ask.  I most certainly don't have all the answers but I will try and point you to what the Bible says.

'Talking about creation of the man and the women - were we created equal ? Or is the man a degree above the women. Is this because we are driven by different impulses and feelings or is this because we were created from him? Or is this because we tempted him with forbidden fruits?'

In Genesis 1:28 God blessed Adam and Eve together and gave them a mandate to subdue the earth together. In Genesis 3:16 when Adam and Eve were cursed after they sinned, God said that man will rule over women.  This was the reality for all women in the world until Jesus came.  In Galatians 3:13 it explains how Jesus redeemed us from the curse when He died on the cross, so that we no longer have to live under the curse any longer. Galatians 3:28 also states that we are one in Christ, there is no difference between us.

However, Ephesians 5:22 does speak of wives submitting to their husbands as to the Lord.  This is to do with family structure, an organisational plan so that we can run our homes smoothly.  It is not a curse or a command but a choice that we should make if we want to get the best out of our marriage.  To submit is to to surrender one's rights or will, it is a choice.  A husband can't make his wife submit, it is the wife's choice.  The word 'submit' does not convey inferiority of the woman. Men and women are still partners in life, but the wife chooses to submit to her husband in order to bring about a Godly balance in their marriage.

For me personally, this is how I view submission.  Eric and I run our home together, we are in business together and we pastor the Church together. We value each other's opinions and we make decisions together. We understand that we have different strengths and weaknesses so we try and complement each other with our strengths. I see submission as a blessing because it means that I don't have to be in control of everything all of the time.  Not being in control all the time means that I don't have to carry the weight of everything, leaving me to be free and peaceful.  Tell me something, what is more beautiful, a stressed out woman or a peaceful woman?  Submission is a blessing, it means that we can trust our husband to make good decisions at times and not have to carry the weight of them.  Sure we can give our opinion but we don't need to be in control all the time.

Therefore, submission has nothing to do with inferiority. If the wife does not support her husband and enjoy his leadership role, chaos will result.  Observe couples around you and see what looks better in your opinion.  I have done this and found it very interesting. It's not that I want to compare myself to other people but it's so that I can see with my own eyes what things look like from a different perspective.  I have observed some couples where there is little or no submission and I see continual strife and plain ugliness in the wife.  Other couples, sadly I have not seen many, have a husband that wants to lead (big key) and a wife that wants to submit.  It looks so wonderful and the harmony between them makes sense.  If we can get past the mindset of inferiority and equals then we can embrace the beautiful, natural balance that God has set in place for our families.

Picture this, a family at the airport terminal, the husband is pulling a nice pink wheelie suitcase and the wife is carrying all the heavy luggage along with the two year old in a carry frame on her back and the five year old is tagging along with her too. How does that image resonate within you?  It's not quite right is it?  A more acceptable picture would be that the husband would carry the heavy luggage and perhaps the child on his back while the wife pulls the wheelie case and holds the hand of the five year old. The husband is carrying the load and the wife is doing her part to help. This seems to make more sense, doesn't it?  The picture you get now is one of balance and harmony.  In a similar way, this is what our marriage should look like too.  Yet so often we find that it is not so.  women want to be the leader of the home, they want to be in control so they carry all the weight of things leaving the man to look like a bit of a wimp! This also leaves the women doing something that they were not designed to do thereby leaving them exhausted.  If your husband wanted to carry all the luggage at the airport while you did your part in helping, wouldn't you be pleased?  Then why do some of you insist on 'wearing the pants' in your marriage?  You are only robbing yourself, making yourself tired and making your husband look and feel like a wimp leaving him totally emasculated. 

I hope my simple illustrations have somehow helped you change your perception of submission.  Be a free woman, free to allow your man to be a man while you focus on being a beautiful woman.  

'The scriptures talks about prophets and disciples - all of which are male? - you don't hear about much about great women - except for Mary. Is this because we have different roles to play?'

There are many examples of great women in the Bible, there is Ruth, Esther, Sarah, Deborah to name but a few but I will go into each woman in detail in a separate post :)

'I do believe that women were created differently, built and designed to do things a man cannot, and visa versa. Have you ever heard the saying" behind every successful man, is a powerful women" - this is so true. I have living proof in my family. My granddad( God bless is soul) was a successful man because of my Grandmother. My dad only found his path in life because of my mother.

We need our men almost as much as they need us.. :-)'

I love that saying because it is so very true.  I have an awesome post lined up that goes into this in great detail and can't wait to get into it at our Girls Nights please leave a comment below or email me if you wish to remain anonymous.

More coming from Being a Wife, find out more here

Comments

  1. thats a great analogy Ange!

    I find my husband has strengths in areas where I have considerable weakness... like being disciplines with finances. If I had my way I would buy those shoes... and those ones, and this dress to go with them too! But, being accountable to him for how I spend our money, regardless of who earned it, has made it possible for us to do more wise things with our fincnaces, plan for the future as well as go on some nice holidays.

    It has given me such a sense of peace knowing that I dont have to worry about the finances - all I have to do is my part in playing by the agreed game plan we have established.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hope's Journey

"There was a time when all I wanted was to die but now that I have tasted life I really don’t want to die until I have truly lived!" Hope's Journey is a heart wrenching account of Angela's struggle with depression and suicide.   "This book is helpful for people that are going through tough times as well for those who are trying to support them. It gives valuable insight into the feelings experienced in the midst of the situations as well as the tools Angela used to find her way through them. The tools are useful for anyone trying to find hope in dark situations, whatever they may be, and are helpful for leading a stronger, more balanced life." Ali Kirkwood  Available at: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Kindle StudyGuide: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | More Info  Contents: Introduction Suicide Eat, Sleep & Exercise Have a Checkup First Things First Make Hope Make List Tell Someone Choose Your Friends Understand Hormo

Conference Feedback

We had a beautiful day together on 8th September, thank you so much to you all for your incredible support and prayers. Feedback and testimonies have already started flooding in, have a read of some of them here . Also, keep an eye on our YouTube page as we update it with the speakers messages and conference highlight videos. We had the stunning Instruments of Praise gospel choir lead us in worship and it was truly heavenly. We also had Daughters of Davis who absolutely blew us away with their fantastic acoustic folk/soul vibe. Our Women in Business section was a real treat with stalls offering all sorts of beautifully displayed goods. Jill Chitty from the Entrepreneurs Circle spoke to the women in business offering practical tips for business growth. Other breakout sessions included a Hope for Justice talk by Naomi and Cynthia shared her testimony of life as a Samburu woman . Molly Catherine Beebee from Cirencester Creative Dance Academy dazzled us with

For Such a Time As This

Hello King's Daughters, It's been a while since I've been in touch and King's Daughters has been very quiet, in fact totally dormant.  During this time of dormancy, a seed has been growing inside of me and it's so strong that I have to seriously consider if it's God saying "It's time".  Time to start taking back what the enemy has stolen from us. Time to fight for our families, schools, churches, communities and nation. Time to pray together and be proactive, not reactive to what is going on in the world today. Time to talk about the complex topics that our churches may not be ready to discuss openly such as gender confusion and mental health issues. Time to learn how to generate an income or second income by using what's in our hands and to have extra to be generous to the world around us as we face economic uncertainty.  Time to find balance when everyone else is consumed by busyness. I have a story to tell, a struggle I've been through t