Skip to main content

How to make Friends

Yes I know this subject seems a bit strange, but I can't tell you how many lonely people I have met who genuinely don't know how to make new friends. I am no expert on this as I am an introvert who is quite content with my own company ha ha. Never-the-less over the years I have had to step out of my comfort zone and intentionally build friendships. I will share what has worked for me but I would be very grateful if you could share what works for you too as different personalities approach things from different angles. If you are an outgoing sort of person you are probably laughing at this post as you are constantly surrounded by people, but I would like to challenge you too. How deep are your friendships?

To make friends I would suggest:

Get around people:
It's very difficult to meet people if you don't put yourself in a position to meet people. Church of course is a great place and even better is to get involved in church life. Another idea could be to join a club in an area that you interested in like a gardening club, a book club, a walking group, etc.

Talk to people
Again something you would think obvious but to many people not. You can't wait and see who comes and talks to you, you really have to make the effort to talk to people. I have heard so many people from churches complain that no one came to talk to them! My question is always, so who did you go and talk to?

Care about people:
My best friends are through either me seeing their need and caring for them or through them seeing my need and caring for me. Not one of my friendships have started any other way, they have all started through genuine caring for a need.

Endure with people:
We are all human and full of flaws. When your new friend disappoints you and doesn't meet up to your expectation don't ditch them! A good friendship is always a result of enduring the tough times. None of my friendships were a walk in the park, they have all had seasons of endurance. I have annoyed them and they have annoyed me - it's guaranteed to happen but it's what you do with it that counts.

It's not all about you:
Have you ever known someone who never stops talking about themselves, their needs and their struggles? I have known people like that and based on how they have made me feel I have determined to be careful not to be like that myself. My friends who don't have babies don't want to hear me go on about my babies all the time but if I do they try to listen attentively for as long as I need to talk. On the flip side my friends are interested in things that I am not interested in but because they are my friends I do my best to learn about these things that interest them. Give and take, that's it in a nutshell! It's not always going to be about what you want to talk about.

These are my top tips, there are more but I would rather here your views. How do you go about making and keeping friends?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conference Feedback

We had a beautiful day together on 8th September, thank you so much to you all for your incredible support and prayers. Feedback and testimonies have already started flooding in, have a read of some of them here . Also, keep an eye on our YouTube page as we update it with the speakers messages and conference highlight videos. We had the stunning Instruments of Praise gospel choir lead us in worship and it was truly heavenly. We also had Daughters of Davis who absolutely blew us away with their fantastic acoustic folk/soul vibe. Our Women in Business section was a real treat with stalls offering all sorts of beautifully displayed goods. Jill Chitty from the Entrepreneurs Circle spoke to the women in business offering practical tips for business growth. Other breakout sessions included a Hope for Justice talk by Naomi and Cynthia shared her testimony of life as a Samburu woman . Molly Catherine Beebee from Cirencester Creative Dance Academy dazzled us with

For Such a Time As This

Hello King's Daughters, It's been a while since I've been in touch and King's Daughters has been very quiet, in fact totally dormant.  During this time of dormancy, a seed has been growing inside of me and it's so strong that I have to seriously consider if it's God saying "It's time".  Time to start taking back what the enemy has stolen from us. Time to fight for our families, schools, churches, communities and nation. Time to pray together and be proactive, not reactive to what is going on in the world today. Time to talk about the complex topics that our churches may not be ready to discuss openly such as gender confusion and mental health issues. Time to learn how to generate an income or second income by using what's in our hands and to have extra to be generous to the world around us as we face economic uncertainty.  Time to find balance when everyone else is consumed by busyness. I have a story to tell, a struggle I've been through t

Hope's Journey

"There was a time when all I wanted was to die but now that I have tasted life I really don’t want to die until I have truly lived!" Hope's Journey is a heart wrenching account of Angela's struggle with depression and suicide.   "This book is helpful for people that are going through tough times as well for those who are trying to support them. It gives valuable insight into the feelings experienced in the midst of the situations as well as the tools Angela used to find her way through them. The tools are useful for anyone trying to find hope in dark situations, whatever they may be, and are helpful for leading a stronger, more balanced life." Ali Kirkwood  Available at: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Kindle StudyGuide: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | More Info  Contents: Introduction Suicide Eat, Sleep & Exercise Have a Checkup First Things First Make Hope Make List Tell Someone Choose Your Friends Understand Hormo